Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Downturn in Economy?

As small business owners, we do not typically operate under the same constraints faced by major corporations. We don’t require Board approval to make changes to our marketing strategies, we have greater flexibility with the content and direction of our marketing programs and have the ability to efficiently and effectively market ourselves with minimal expenditure.

The economic downturn has caused many companies to downsize their non-revenue and ‘non-essential’ departments.

By taking time and seriously considering long term goals for my business, I have utilized my new-found free time to maximize efforts in expanding my offering and taking a long, hard look at how I have been marketing myself.
When employed full-time, my small business was more of a dream than an active reality. I ordered the supplies needed to have the ability to launch my business when the timing was right. My office is filled with fantastic marketing materials for, ironically, my online marketing business. I have a few clients that I work with on a regular basis, but did not have the time to take on new commitments.


Post-layoff, I took the time to beef up my website, order third-generation business cards that now present the image I want to sell to my clients. The businesses I worked with in my past professional life have now become clients and prospects – they know my ethics, they recognize my abilities, and we have a pre-established positive relationship.

For established small business owners, I encourage you to seek out new ways of building your business. If you have a website, but are not active on social media – now is the time! Most of the tools are free; establishing accounts, finding a preferred social network stream aggregator to monitor your business presence online, and getting involved in the newest trends.

Early adopters of internet ‘trends’ have the luxury of being among the first to get your brand name populating search engines, generating traffic through online gaming programs, and being involved in your area’s online community. It takes time, yes, but if you are experiencing a slowdown in traffic, the time is available – it’s how you choose to use it.

Seek out online communities in your area and become active. Share your personality first and product second with thousands of people in your area, for absolutely free.

If you are not internet savvy, or just simply don’t get it, that’s fine – there are plenty of former professional marketers with years of experience just starting their own companies to show you the way and assist you in your efforts. Think of how you began your business, how you wanted to share your product or your skills with the world and re-energize that dream.

Downturn is only that for those that stay below the wave. Grab your board and rise above it. The view is endless!


No comments:

Post a Comment